Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fine and dandy?


Oh my God
Please help me
Knee deep in the river
Tryin' to get clean.

He says "Wash your hands
Get out the stains
But you best believe
Boy there's hell to pay"


     Not the most heart warming song, right? I've had this song stuck in my head for forever, not just because it has a catchy tune, but because it wouldn't leave me alone. I mean, how many of us have done things that we regretted in the past, asked God for forgiveness, then expected him to make everything better? I know I've done it a few times. Or, maybe you've heard pastors screaming that, after you accept Jesus Christ as your savior, everything will become fine and dandy, no problems ever again?
     Well, let me put this as delicately as I can; anyone who believes that is deluded and brainwashed. It doesn't work like that. Just because you're saved, doesn't mean everything's going to be a-okay. Life with Jesus isn't going to be fluffy and heart-warming and fun all the time. No, riding with Jesus means you are going to get dirty, sweaty and maybe really bloody. It is not for the faint of heart.
   
     “The idea that Jesus will make everything better is a lie. It’s basically biblical theology translated into the language of infomericals.” — Donald Miller, "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years."

     So let's start with the first fallacy; because I am saved, I should expect other people to act like Jesus and forgive me.
     When your saved, Jesus does wipe you clean, yes, but the things you did will still have consequences. For example, a man who was cheating on his wife cannot, after apologizing profusely, expect everything to go back to normal. When we are saved by Christ, he forgives and forgets...but man does not. A murderer, after finding Christ, cannot expect a judge to forget his sin, like Christ. He will still pay for his crime, but he is now clean in the eyes of God. Make sense?

     Second; when I'm saved, nothing bad will happen to me.
This is really a no brainer. Just look at Christian martyrs. Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, are persecuted daily for their beliefs.  Why? We stand for truth. Unfortunately  the world despises truth and is going to try it's very hardest to destroy the messengers of that truth. Dark hates Light. Evil hates Good. Deceit hates Truth. If you preach the truth long enough and loud enough, those deep in denial of their sin will  despise and hates you and, quiet frankly, try to make your life a living Hell.

     That then brings us to the ultimate question; why does God let bad things happen to good people? In short, trials change a person.
     There was this story I heard a few years ago (you may have heard different versions of this) but it was about a potter and his piece of clay.

   
     The first thing needed to be done was the kneading. So the Maker kneaded and rubbed the clay between his hands, pushing hard to ensure the clay was soft enough to use. But as he did so, the clay began to complain.
     "Ow! That hurts! Why are you doing to master?"
     But the Maker only said, "You will see in time," and continued to knead.
   
     Next, the Maker began to mold the clay. He pulled and spun and pushed the clay, who again began to complain, louder then before.
     "Master! You are hurting me again! Why are you hurting me? Did I offend you in anyway?"
     But the Master only said, "You will see in time," and continued to mold.
   
     Next, the Maker needed to paint and cook the clay. He spent a very long time painting the clay and it was very uncomfortable for the clay. After the painting was finished, the Maker placed to clay in the oven. No sooner had the oven door closed, then the clay began to scream at the top of it's lungs.
     "Master! Are you trying to kill me? Why are you hurting me so badly? I thought you loved me!"
     The Maker did not reply, but sat by the oven, a solemn look on his face. The clay continued to scream in pain and fear, for it had supposed that it's master had abandoned it. Finally, the Maker pulled the clay out of the oven. But it was no longer clay. It was a beautiful teacup, adorned with gold and blue designs that shone beautifully in the light. The Maker smiled at his creation.
     "You see," said the Maker to the teacup, "Even though you were made uncomfortable, you were hurt, and you thought I had abandoned you (which I didn't) this was all for you. It helped you become this beautiful teacup. Without all the pain and trials you endured, you would not be the teacup you are today. You would still be a piece of clay." (compare the two pictures for the full effect)

   
     As Robert McKee, creative writing instructor, puts it,
     "Writing a story isn't about making your peaceful fantasies come true… You didn't think joy could change a person, did you? Joy is what you feel when the conflict is over. But it’s conflict that changes a person. You put your characters through hell. That’s the only way we change."
   
     There is no other way. We change and learn through pain. We become better people, we grow closer to God, our faith is strengthened. It hurts, yes, but God does it for your own good. Pain either makes or beaks you.  
     So, I guess I kind of went on a bunny trail and hopped everywhere. However, I hope what I said is clear; God will not make everything better just because you are saved. Get that out of your head now or it will be a painful lesson to learn later.

No comments:

Post a Comment