Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cooking Conundrum

"This German chocolate cake is delicious. How do you get it to taste so good?"
"Oh, you know. Just generous amounts of the special ingredient."
"Special ingredient?"
"Love."

     Love? An ingredient? Come on. How can you put love into a recipe? It's not like they sell big bags of "Mother Theresa's Bag of Love" at your local Walmart. And why would you want to anyway? Does it add some special taste or something?
     The answer to the question  found itself to me through an inspirational poster. I can't remember exactly what it said (how's that for inspirational), but it said something along the lines of 'nothing is worth doing if you don't have enthusiasm'.
     For the past year, I have been helping out as assistant coach for my speech and debate club. One of the things that irks me the most about speeches (and the speakers) is when they give there speech and it is so...boring. It's not necessarily because the actual content is boring, but I can tell the speaker is bored with his speech.What's the point of doing something if your not going to enjoy doing it?
     When I cook, I'm usually in a 'cooking' mood. I'm ready to whip up a big batch of cookies and spend as long as I need to on them. Of course, there are times when I don't really feel like doing anything, and then mom asks me to make dinner. It's not like I don't try to do a good job, it's just that when I'm not in the mood, my cooking doesn't turn out as well. The food is mediocre and nobody really enjoys it. When someone is truly passionate about something, really excited about what they are doing, you can tell.
     The food comes out better, the speech, etc...
     But what if we went beyond the hobbies? What if we had a love for everything we did? We had enthusiasm in our chores, homework, work...everything. Imagine how much different our daily lives would be. Everyday, joyful to serve our Creator another day. Ready to serve our fellow man another day. People  would see us for who we claim to be, happy with where God has placed us.
     Love is the secret ingredient...love for what we do, love for where we are and who we serve. Love for what we do makes everything better....especially the food.

<a href="http://www.hypersmash.com">Hypersmash.com</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment